Exemption Letters

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Regulations (MEES) apply to all privately rented properties in England and Wales which are legally required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Exemptions must be registered to the Private Rented Sector (PRS) by the landlord before it can be relied on.

‘You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:’

  • listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

We are registered and qualified to provide exemption letters.

Contact us if you need an exemption letter.

Coronavirus Statement

Please look at our ‘News’ section to see our ‘Covid-19 householder Policy’.